May 14, 2010

New insight necessary....

I'm really excited! I just ordered "Notes From Exile: On Being Acadian" for my multicultural counseling experience. For class we have to pick a population that we will be working with and submerse ourselves in it for 24 hours in order to gain a better understanding. After talking with the prof, I have decided that it's about time I learn about Acadians past and present, and not from an Anglo perspective either!!!! I remember walking Trooper last summer before going to church and seeing a plaque by the water explaining a bit about the Acadian Expulsion. Now I'm sure I learned about this in school, however, like everything else I learned in high school I really didn't care much about social justice things at that point. Last summer though, it shocked me and I remember making a mental note that I needed to learn more about Acadians and their history, and how nasty us lovely English speaking folks have been and still can be at times...sorry Mel T. :)

So I'm really exited...now I have to be creative because there aren't any Acadians where I'm at obviously. However, my prof thinks this is an excellent idea and something that I deifnitely carry with me (Hillsborough doesn't help this) and I agree, so she's willing to work with me.

I'm thinking a road trip to Grand Pre this summer may be necessary, we were there on our honeymoon, but I want to go back now with new lenses....I love how passionate I get about things, especially things that will alleviate discrimination in my world! To be excited about a freaking book...wow....Amazon says it will be here on Tuesday!!!!

2 comments:

Debie said...

this will be an interesting, heartbreaking, what-do-I-do-now journey. can't wait to learn more.

Erin said...

it will be...that's what I'm hoping for anyways! I'm sure I'll be able to tell you loads by the time I"m done :)