April 19, 2010

Training....

I wanted to let you all know, and get my thoughts out, on how today went. Zac and I left Harrisonburg at 4:30 in the morning and arrived in Baltimore, Maryland (beautiful drive) around 7:30. I wasn't sure what I was getting into. I knew I was going to a training on diagnosing and treating Dissociative Identity Disorder, and that was all it took to get me to sign up because I have HUGE passion for this, which is a good thing since I want to work with trauma and DID and trauma normally go hand in hand (in fact children who have been abused and neglected have to create this beautiful, creative coping mechanism or they would not have survived their childhood). So right away Lisa Ferentz (one of the top trauma workers in the country) had my attention. She kept saying how important this coping mechanism (not mental illness) was for survival, and how beautiful, creative, and extremely intelligent people need to be to be able to do this in the first place. This was music to my soul let me tell you. This is how I feel, I can't even explain it. I sat there for the first two hours just remembering all the times that those of you with DID have let me into your worlds. I felt so honored and blessed, and still do as I type this. In fact, all the things she was explaining I already knew for the most part (it was a basic introduction the system and how it works), I was even able to give some examples and perspectives from my experiences with some of you....THANK YOU!!!!

So on break I ran into Lisa in the washroom and she says to me "thank you for sharing what you are. I can tell you have a passion for this area and a lot of wisdom for your age". HOLY CRAP... What an honor!!! So I then said that I was interested in taking her Trauma I and II certificate program (basically will make me a certified trauma therapist), but was quite discouraged that it was only for those who already have their Masters, and since I wanted to go back to Canada I probably wouldn't be able to afford to come back down monthly for the training once I graduate. Guess what she said??? "Someone like you, with what I'm seeing, I'll let you into the program. In fact, I have one starting in September and I really encourage you to take it". AHHHHHH and when I was leaving she said "I'll see you in September right Erin?". YOU'RE FREAKING RIGHT YOU WILL LISA :) ha ha ha Seriously guys I am super pumped. I love my life, my passion, my history, my healing, my journey, my husband, and all the many many blessings that are making this moment happen. God is sooooo wonderful to me. Even all those dark times that I have been working through in 6 years of counseling now, they sucked...but they have also shaped me into the person I am today and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I can't wait to extend that grace and hope to others....hearing her stories about the work she does with her clients makes me realize that what I long for in my soul will become a reality, because if she can do it I can do it... and she told me that I was already one step ahead of her because I'm a survivor and she isn't.

So the rest of the morning and afternoon were about assessing, treating, and just overall information about working with clients who have DID. I learned so much! Totally worth the $140 and 3 hour drive to Baltimore. It was a long day, but so worth it. I'm one step closer to sitting with trauma survivors friends, and to that I say BRING IT ON!!!! :)

4 comments:

Jason said...

Ummm... My wife is pretty cool!

Debie said...

That is really lovely with that "coincedent" and all.

Erin said...

Jason: awww thanks honey, that means a lot! See I'm trying to get all this stuff done while I'm down here so that I can stay home with you for good after this. What until we talk about how much this training will cost though ;)

Debie: ha ha ha I know eh? Oh it just makes me so thankful!

Mandi said...

I have to say, you're turning into such a geek! But it's cool, totally cool. (that coming from another breed of geek I'm sure really has impact! :))

Glad you really enjoyed yourself and had some cool experiences.