July 1, 2010

Day 2...

Ah the Rome airport, no air conditioning, old, and sketchy customs (by sketchy I mean we stood in line, handed a grumpy guy our passport through a glass window, he stamped it, and gave it back to us without asking one question - guess they aren't worried about homeland security threats, I'm so used to the US airports now...sheesh). We then found the driver holding the sign that said "Wilson", and we were on our way to the hotel. Our driver was going about 150 km (not exaggerating either), knew very little English, and thankfully didn't notice the glances we were all giving each other as we weaved through narrow streets feeling like we were cheating death we each turn that we survived. We checked into our rooms, freshened up, and then went on a mission to get something to eat because we were starving. Above: Hotel Jolly Villa Carpegna


Below: Both hotels that we stayed at in Rome had showers like this; no curtains just a glass door that didn't move. It was weird and Jason and I kept getting water on the floor, but weren't sure how not to. Also our bathrooms were equipped with badays. Everything in me wanted to try this, but I didn't. In fact I'm sad to report that neither one of us worked up the guts to do it, as I type this I'm wishing I would have went with the whole "when in Rome" theory :)

This is Piazza Navona. Rome is filled with squares or courtyards that are beautiful! I think we all said "wow" when we turned the corner and entered the Piazza. The worker at the hotel told us that this would be a good place to grab a cab to to find something to eat, and she was right. We HAD to get some pizza, since were in the place were pizza was started. My father was not impressed, he wanted the American thick crust that he was used to, and made it his mission to find this before he left Rome; he failed. We tried to get some funky ones. Prosciutto (dry cured ham that you see on top of these pizzas) was everyone in Rome, and we loved it. Yes that's boiled eggs that you see on the second pizza, who would have thought!

After being out for a couple of hours everyone was tired, so we headed back to the hotel. Some, okay everyone but the Constables, went out exploring shops and stores by the hotel. Jason and I went to bed. That's right we went to bed at 7:00 pm and didn't wake up until 7:00 am the next morning when we got the wake up call. Ha ha ha the wake up calls. I can still hear the recordings of this chippy woman saying "Bueno..." and then a bunch of other stuff I didn't understand so I'd just hang up and grumpily stumble to the shower. Off to the boat tomorrow.....

No comments: