July 28, 2010

Day 7...

...put us in Athens, Greece. We were originally very excited for this day, but after all the fun we had in Turkey we were both feeling a little let down by the day. It was beautiful - we're thankful we got to see it - but it was also 48 that day. So walking around and doing stuff was not very much fun because it was just too hot.
This is traffic getting into Athens. We were there during a strike of metro workers, so many people were needing to take their cars and motorcycles to work. It was insane to me how the motorcycles were just going in between the cars as you can see in the picture above.

My first sight of an olive tree. They were everywhere in Athens. They weren't rip yet, but I had picked one off and peeled it apart just to see...I think because I love olives and eat a lot of olive oil I found this very cool that I was able to just pick an olive off as I waked down the road. Sometimes it's the simple things eh? :)
Our tour took us to the Athenian Acropolis. I can't tell you a lot about this. I can tell you it was hot, fascinating, and full of people. It was high up over everything in Athens so the view of the city - seen below - was amazing. Basically it was a place where they used to worship Gods, and many of the buildings were each dedicated and named after specific Gods. It was also constructed in 447 BC I think, this was the fascinating part. How they did this stuff back then, and by this stuff I mean build these huge buildings out of marble on top of a big hill, is beyond me.

I'm sorry I can't tell you more on all of this. I remember listening to the guide, but after being in Ephesus I think I just found this to be okay and not too exciting. Again I can't emphasize how horribly hot it was for all of us up there. There was no shade....I know I know I'm whining right :) My Canadian body just isn't used to that intensity.




This is Panathinaiko stadium, which is the first Olympic stadium ever built in 329 BC. It was renovated and used for the first Olympic games in 1870. This was right in the middle of the city on a busy street. It's so weird to me that you can just be driving on your way to work everyday passing these huge monuments of history. We also saw signs for Thessalonian and Corinth...reminders again that we were in an ancient land. We were almost getting giddy at the thought of this, hard to explain.

Jason just loves getting his picture taken while we're eating. This my friends was something I'll NEVER forget. We had lunch at a Greek restaurant of course. The Greek salad I had there was amazing. The tomatoes that I ate there have made it hard to enjoy tomatoes now that I'm back home. It was so yummy. I think I was meant to eat Mediterranean food all the time! After this we spent time going to different shops, and checking things out. Then it was back to the boat where we couldn't wait to take a shower.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally...thanks for the update:)

E said...

Looks like you had a great day, even though it was a bit of a let down. 48 degrees, wow, I thought 37 here was bad! You didn't taste the olive? Probably a good choice. ;) Apparently they are very bad tasting until they've cured. :)

Erin said...

ha ha ha you're welcome ML (I'm guessing this is you)

Esther: thanks for leaving a comment... welcome to my blog :) Oh I would have tasted the olive had it been ripe...it didn't even smell like an olive yet. Yup 48 sucked! :)