April 7, 2010

Cruise details....

One of my good friends just got back from a cruise, and reading her blog is getting me even more pumped for the one that I get to go on in 9 weeks! She had a private room with a balcony (which we will as well), and she left the door open at night and slept to the sound of the ocean. How delightful will this be? I'm not really a beach/ocean person but something about this definitely calms my soul.

So I thought I'd share with you my excitement about the fun excursions we have booked (that were really expensive....my dad is a trooper let me tell you):

First stop: Sicily, Italy (after spending two nights in Rome)
Depart from the pier on a scenic ride to Europe's largest active volcano. You will see the remnants of the last eruptions of October 2002 before arriving at the Silvestri Spent Craters, almost 6,400 feet above sea level where you can walk along the rim of these craters. Return along the same route to Taormina, well-known throughout the world. The town is perched on a terrace overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. (I get to see a freaking active volcano!!!!)

Next Stop: Ephesus, Turkey

The guided walking tour will take you through one of the most magnificent excavations in the world (Ancient Ephesus). See the Odeon, the Fountain of Trajan, the steam baths of Scholastika, temple of Hadrian and the impressive library of Celsius. The library is adorned with columns and statues. The Grand Theater, where St. Paul preached (CRAZY), is one of the largest theaters in antiquity with a capacity of 24,000 seats. You will return to the buses through the Arcadian way, where Mark Anthony (is this Mark Anthony the singer? ha ha ha) and Cleopatra once rode in procession.

Continuing the tour, the next stop is at the ancient site of Miletus, which was a great Ionian Port, with two lions guarding its entrance. Miletus was the native city of several philosophers and sages. You will continue to Didyma, to admire the magnificent Temple of Apollo, a great monument of antiquity. A typical lunch will be served in the town of "Didim" at a local restaurant, overhanging the ruins of the Temple of Didyma where you can taste the delicious dishes from Turkish cuisine (Lindsay and I fought for this excursion because of the Turkish cuisine element.....sounds yummy....although what exactly does overhanging the ruins mean????).

Next stop: Athens, Greece

Enter the city along Syngrou Avenue and drive past famous venues such as the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's Arch separating the old and new Roman towns. Other sites include the National Gardens, National Library and the Parliament Building, formerly the Royal Palace. See the Panathinion Stadium constructed in 1895 for the first modern Olympics of 1896. The highlight of the tour is a visit to the Acropolis, the architectural masterpiece of the Golden Age of Greece. See the Porpylea Entrance, the Erectheum, the Temple of Wingless Victory and the crowning glory of Athens, the Parthenon. You will then have some free time (approximately 3 hours ) for lunch, shopping or independent exploring. (I don't even know what most of this stuff is but from the picture it looks amazing)

Next stop: Iraklion, Crete

We chose not to do an excursion here because there weren't really any that interested us. However, we will be getting of the boat to look around. My dad actually suggested renting some scooters and checking out the sights, which sounds fun and scary :)

Last stop: Rome, Italy for 2 nights and then it will be back to Moncton we go. Hopefully we get everything in that we want to see because when am I ever going to be back to Italy?


So thankful I have this to look forward to amongst all the end of the semester craziness! 3 weeks from tomorrow and I'm done this semester....this time is flying by! Hopefully the 6 weeks of summer classes will as well.....

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Wow that sounds so amazing! I, like you, don't know what half of those places are - the fun will be finding out!
Turkish cuisine?!?! I don't even know what kind of food that is, but sounds delightful!
Erin, this will be the trip of a lifetime, for real. You are very blessed and I hope through all these fun experiences you feel rewarded for your tough year, and connected to your family.

Blessings to you, and I can't wait to hear all the details!

PS - I have to give credit to my dad for the sleeping with the balcony door open idea - it came from him, and it was fabulous!

Erin said...

Oh you'll find out and hear all about it when I get back. It will be one of our ice cream dates for sure ;)

Thanks for the kinds words friend! It has been a hard year, but worth it if that makes any sense. Thank you for the many blessings!