April 25, 2010

Quote....

"I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy, we fought ourselves, and the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days...But be that as it may, those who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with whats left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life"
(from Platoon, Sgt. Chris Taylor).

Who knew I'd connect so deeply with a Sgt. This is the battle I have with every memory, every flashback. I did not fight the enemy in the moment, and now I fight myself with the flooding of thoughts and feelings that come in the moment. However, it's not me I'm fighting with, although it feels like it, it's the enemy that initially inflicted such horrible acts upon me. Unfortunately my war is not over yet, but it will be. And when it is I will be in a profession that will bless me with the opportunity to build again, and to teach others what I know; the empathy and understanding that I have for survivors can't be learned from any textbook or class lecture. Fortunately I've already found the goodness and meaning to my life. Give a voice to the voiceless, that's what it's all about for me. I love my life. Even with all the rough, desolate, despairing, craziness I have somehow managed to come face to face with hope, beauty, and miraculous wonder, and I only have Him to thank for that!

2 comments:

Erica Quinn said...

WOW - Erin Constable connected with a quote. Hold the phone ladies and gents!

You're pushing through friend, and with grace too. Amazing! You're building a wonderful foundation to present to your clients.

Erin said...

Ha ha I thought you'd say something like this when you saw that I connected with a quote...amazing huh? :)

Thanks for your encouragement and recognition...much appreciated buddy!