February 14, 2010

Thoughts on Olympics...

  • watched the opening ceremonies online yesterday...quite impressive....although I couldn't help but think that 30-40 million (yup that's right million) dollars couldn't have been put to better use...like oh I don't know Haiti for example...I know I know the Olympics are a big deal
  • loved it when Harper was singing "O Canada" and he shouldn't have been....how embarrassing
  • also LOVED the guy who did the monologue about Canada (the bigger guy from you tube)... does anyone know his name???
  • KD Lang.....really?
  • anyone from the Maritimes notice that they started with Quebec in their journey across Canada.....now Canada, how can I expect all these Americans to know where I'm from when even you forget about the East coast??? I guess Sarah McLaughlin did sing though and they had fiddlers from Newfoundland...
  • loved how much they incorporated in the different Aboriginal groups
  • there were so many times that I was amazed by the cool things they were doing...like the whales... WOW!
  • go Wayne Gretzky go
  • I was definitely having emotional reactions (you know that overwhelming feeling of joy that just makes you smile, take a deep breath, and get teary....I don't get that often...mostly when I'm at Disney, one of my animals does something really cute, and now apparently watching the Olympics when they're in my country)
  • made me homesick....it's weird to be having something so cool going on in your country and you're not there for it...I mean I'm about as far away from Vancouver here as I would be in Moncton, but still it's not the same....all the channels down here feature all of the American athletes of course
  • I'm able to cheer for 2 countries now when watching :) of course Canada is my first pick but since I'm living down here I'm excited when USA wins a metal as well...although last night's women's moguls was hard to watch....we got silver though....and america got gold and bronze...woot woot
  • wish I had a TV in my room so that I could just have the Olympics on in the background while I do my work.....why am I getting more interested in this the older I get? Or perhaps it's because everyone is always crapping on my country right now and there's something really cool happening so I'm feeling like I need to REPRESENT! :)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You watched the opening online??? Where, we don't have cable and wanted to watch that.

Erin said...

I watched it on NBC online....however my guess is that it's locked in Canada....one of the bonuses of living in the states, you odn't need cable EVERYTHING is online and it's not illegal :)

check on the official olympic website, you may be able to find it there....good luck!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debie said...

love the Olympics. All TV rules go out the window!! So fun!

don't worry, my family is cheering for Canada from afar, too. :o) and, tearing up...

Erin said...

I know you love the Olympics... I've bene thinking about you!

Oh right, I never thought of your siblings being down here while this is taking place...cool I don't feel so alone now :)