Funny how I'm not so excited to rush home and write when things aren't all perfect and wonderful. I didn't have bad day today by any means (my allergies are horrible today though so that sucks). However I don't have the energy high that I did yesterday.
My whole way home (you know all 5-8 minutes of it) I was trying to think of what I was going to say that can sum up today. Basically this morning's class of Counselling Techniques made me smile. This class is taught by a male prof who reminds me so much of Tom Snowdon (well one that's in touch with his feelings... ha ha ha). So the little girl in me was crying out to him and wanting him to love me and accept me. Funny how I still struggle with this when I meet genuine, awesome men who could play a fatherly role for me. Perhaps something to investigate yet again :) Anyways he really got us to focus on ourselves. He got us to do multiple exercises that required us to think about us and where we're at. All the while encouraging us to set that aside (not for good but for the moment) because when you're sitting across from clients (it's still weird to me that I'm going to have clients some day) you can't have this stuff affecting what you're saying and how you're helping them obviously. Now those exercises were interesting and got me to think. However because he read this poem at the beginning I was done after that. This poem, and you all know I don't usually connect to poetry, somehow summed up a lot of the things that I was feeling.
The poem was all about a man who was in the missions field and how he not only missed home but was struggling because there was "nothing of himself in this country". I get teary just typing those words again. Yes, I'm only 20 hours from home. However I am in another country. Although it's only America there are so many freaking differences here it's insane. Some are cool, some are weird, but different nonetheless. It's really really hard for me sometimes. I keep telling myself that things are going to be okay and I know they are but in this moment I was about to freaking loose it. I was dissociating by thinking about cleaning my room of all things, I was biting my lip to inflict pain and when that wasn't enough I started pinching myself. You know all things that I should never be admitting to people right now. However if you're ever going to grow people admittance is the first step because now all of you can ask me how I'm doing with this... great! :)
Then my moment that I'm not so proud of, there's a woman in my classes who is from Brazil and as soon as that poem stopped she lost it. I mean uncontrollable nasty cry. I was so relieved that she did it and not me. I was able to stuff my emotions and listen and respond to her in the ways that she needed support in that moment. How healthy is that? Grrrrrrr. He was so gracious in that moment and just let her be where she was at. He sat right in front of her and didn't say a thing. It was amazing to see. Part of me longed for that moment of healing and freedom, however I was still grateful that it was her and not me.
So after she calmed down we all had to walk in silence down three floors to the therapy room and pick out a toy that was symbolic to us, meet as a group and wlak back up to class. I thought, okay good no one will ever know and I'll just be able to pull myself together on this little trip. Well didn't one of the moms in the group quickly come and put her arm around me and ask me how I was feeling. My first thought was I wanted to hit her and ask what part of silence she didn't understand. That quickly got suppressed by intense crying and tears. I just looked at her and said nothing because I knew I couldn't and I knew I didn't need to since she could see how I was feeling in that moment. I pulled it together as best I could in that moment and on the way back up to class, we were still supposed to be in silence at this point, another one of my friends did the same thing, grrrrrrr.
I feel like because I didn't respond in a healthy way it kind of set the tone for me for the rest of the day. I went to chapel and it was different and neat but it was still just okay. I ate lunch with people who wanted to know what I was doing for lunch and it was okay. Everything from that point on was just okay when it should have been cool. I got to go to chapel and sing hymns that I don't know, but want to learn, and I love singing. People where asked to share some moments where they've seen God lately and it was cool. I had people ask me what I was doing for lunch, therefore meaning that I'm getting friends. I should have been elated but it was still just okay.
So Erin what do you do now? Well I can tell you that I went up to those two gals who I responded horrible to in their moments of care and apologized. I told them my struggles with crying and how it's something that I've been working on for a while now and still don't seem to understand why I still fight those tears that emerge at times. I am well aware that this task could have been completely avoided if I would have just went with the moment instead of shutting down. I also gave them permission to push me next time and not let me walk away because that's what I did in both situations. I also have had a huge realization that I'm in classes each week with 20 other people just like me. I mean sure we all have our differences. However at the end of the day they are going to check in on me just like I have checked in on all of you so many times. I honestly didn't have that constantly in Moncton, aside from Jason, except when I chose it. So all of you who I have tormented and made talk over the past few years can be thankful that you have got revenge on me now :)
I also last night emailed the campus counsellor to set up some sessions. How can I go through getting my Masters in Counselling without getting counselling myself? I can't! So I'm off to meet with him tomorrow morning (thank goodness). I'm super excited about this. It will be a fresh start and a new experience.
So friends that's my report on today. It was just okay. Not because of profs, friends, or God. It was just okay because I made a stupid choice first thing this morning in class that weighed heavy on my heart all day. I'm going to try to live more deliberately and be in the moment no matter what that looks like and how scary that sounds. Wow I just took a really deep breath :)
8 comments:
I love that you are learning, growing, becoming vulnurable, not ignoring what is and what should be...you are doing very well with processing (and you know, "processing" is my favourite).
Now for something completely different...
Have you found the A & W rootbeer barrels yet?? So yummy!!! Okay, you can find them in the bulk candy section at the grocery store. They are made by Brach's. Enjoy!! Oh, and you can get Good Seasons salad dressing, too. The best to me!
Have a great Thursday night? Got a TV there? Are you done with BB?
Love ya!
Debie
ha ha ha I'm doing very well with processing in that moment. We'll see how much I keep up with it :) I'm interested to see what a new counsellor will be able to discover behind these walls!
Ah yes the Good Seasons. I'm not a huge fan, it's okay. However no onions and Italian dressing at that I can see why you love it! I have not even heard of these candies. I'll have to get some now. I love root beer! I'll let you know what I think. Thanks!
Wow Erin, that sounds like a really intense day. I can see how all those factors, which really are touching at the core of some of your struggles (the dad prof dude, being away from home, etc) would make for a pretty emotional day. I'm so glad there are others in your class who were able to pick up on those feelings you were trying to hide, and I'm even more glad that you will be able to talk that through with someone tomorrow. Good luck there, friend. I will certainly be praying for your appointment.
Thinking of you!
PS... how come in all of our talks I didn't know about the pinching thing?
PPS... are you a capital F in the making?? :)
My sister sent my some of the barrels for my birthday...Huge Treat!! Enjoy!
Hey Erin, I hate crying in front of people too. Maybe I should go back to Touchstone.....
I have a weird question though, do you have a comfy bed? Everytime I stay away from home, I rate how comfy the bed is.
Debie: I just realized the I forgot to answer your BB question. I'm able to watch all shows online! It's delightful because the sights aren't blocked down here like there are up there. So I'm totally watching BB!! Go Jeff go!!!
Rachel: ha ha ha you alreayd know my answer to your thought about Touchstone :) That's not a weird question. I was really worried about this but it is a comfy bed. It's a single, however I barely move (problem because I have a husband that's a bed hog) so it works.
Mandi: Thanks for the prayers for tomorrow. I'm certainly excited but nervous too. Seems to be the theme of my life lately :) As for the pinching thing it's not something I do often. It's not really an issue. I've maybe done it a handful of times when I'm relaly trying not to loose it. It doesn't usually work though and wasn't working today but that poem ended just in time!
Ha ha ha dude it would be hard for a capital "T" to go all the way to a capital "F" however I'm sure I've moved closer to the dark "f" side. I don't have the manipulating factor though so I'm good for a bit I think :P
We loved that the sights weren't blocked on sabatical. wish that were the case here. we found out that it's the Canadian government that is blocking them, not the US networks. crappy, eh.
Sad, and mad, about Jeff. grrr. sigh...
What ya gonna do.
sorry...not 'sights', 'sites'. whoops, embarrassing, egg on my face...
Post a Comment