
I'm not sure that the picture shows just how scary that angle drop was. Jason, Chris and I were trying to be brave but the longer we stood in line the longer we were all wondering just what exactly we were thinking. It was quite strange climbing that steep slope in the beginning and just seeing sky. The last thing that Chris said to us was "I hate you guys". It was hilarious.
We left Hershey after supper and were planning on staying in a local city. However we just started driving again and next thing we knew we had reached our destination in Harrisonburg, Virginia (after 20 hours of driving total from NB). Now I will add here that we had our reasons at this point. I had booked a hotel in Harrisonburg for Monday and Tuesday night. However someone talked me into going to Disney (now I know what you're thinking as if it's hard to talk me into going to Disney, however for this anal organizer it is because Disney takes a lot of planning). So we showed up there hoping we could stay Sunday and Monday instead and it worked. We caught up on sleep Sunday night and headed to where I would be calling home for the next 2 years on Monday.
The neighbourhood here is beautiful. It's an older neighbourhood. However it's safe, loads of trees, and big houses. We were very happy when we pulled onto the street. My room is a great size and has everything I need. It would make sense to take a pic right now of it and post it however my room is a bit of a mess and I'm too lazy so that will come another day. Anyways, I'm living with two women who are really nice and although it's weird for me to have roommates for the first time in my life, they are making the transition easy because they are both very easy going!
Tuesday we were off to Eastern Mennonite University for a campus tour. Now I was expecting something like ABU were all classes are in one building. However there are different buildings for different faculties and a commons building and a big library. I was really impressed and excited. It reminds me of UNB just on a smaller scale. Here is a picture of the campus centre for example:
I spent a lot of time here yesterday for registration. Again, beautiful and loads of trees. I'm very thankful for EMU and Harrisonburg. They are so pretty. I will take more pictures of this area and talk more about it at another time (sheesh I've already promised about 15 posts for you guys it feels like).
As soon as we were done at the university we hopped in our little beauty again and headed south. I got bored and starting taking a few pics. These were our reenactment shots of how we each felt when Jason was driving through New York City.



We then left Disney Saturday morning and drove 13 hours to Charlottesville, Virginia. We spent the night there because that is where the closest airport to me is, it's about an hour away. That was a hard night. We got up the next morning at 4:30 and went to the airport. I just dropped him off and drove away. I get teary just thinking about it. It was definitely one of the harder moments in my life! I of course went back to the hotel, cried and fell asleep. I then left the hotel around noon and drove back to Harrisonburg. I took a different route than Jason and I had originally taken. It was BEAUTIFUL. I was so thankful, which was hard for me because I was a little bitter that I had just sent my husband back to Canada.
On my way home I stopped at a grocery store and that was an experience let me tell you! How do you shop for one? What meals am I going to want to make that won't have so many leftovers that I'll never want to eat it again? Plus where the heck is the poppy seed salad dressing? Kraft salad dressing doesn't have the same bottles as it does back home or same kinds. Grrrrrrrrr! I ran into a few more things like that as well. However I also got some yummy goodies that I have been excited about. Honey ham, honey wheat bread, guacamole rice crisps, etc. I then came back here and unpacked and the rest is history.
I need to get going to finish my laundry and go get a few things at Target. What's Target you ask? Oh a classier Wal-Mart. Erin how do you know that it doesn't support child slave labour? I don't but I will soon be looking into this because it does seem to good to be true! I loved my first trip there. I've got some fair trade lovers in my class so I'm sure I'll learn lots. Bet you can't wait for those posts :)
Thanks for reading and next time I'll chat about my orientation at EMU. Boy that doesn't sound exciting at all!
6 comments:
Whoa, that was a deluxe hotel room? Crazy. Glad you got to experience Disney for your 5 year anniversary... couldn't imagine it any other way!
Looking forward to all those promised posts :)
ha ha ha that was the cheapest room at a deluxe hotel is maybe what I should have said. The bathroom was really cool and there are other things that you can't see in my quick video. However I'll stop justifing and just admit that it wasn't worth the money. I am happy we did it though!
this rocks!!! when I told emma where you and jason went, she just shook her head. we were all very jealous.
thanks for posting. this is awesome. i'll look forward to cathing up with you this way.
MB- ha ha ha I laughed so hard when I saw your name. Very funny!
Thanks for checking out my blog. Hope it fulfills your missing me hole. Look at me assuming you have one of those :)
I will be on contact shortly, thought it was too late tonight!
YAY! I'm glad you started a blog! Ian and I read both posts today (well I read them and he chewed on a stuffed animal) Your anniversary sounded fun. I actually cried when you wrote about dropping Jason off.
Ha ha ha hey Rachel, I knew you would be! Thanks for being one of the many pushing me to do it. GLad you and Ian enjoyed it!
Post a Comment