
We are now divided into groups and have to do an hour long presentation on a topic from the book. Our group decided to pick actual lobotomies. Most of us, myself included, had never heard of a lobotomy. I literally was gasping in shock when I was reading about it in the book. I have since thought about it a lot, even had a dream that one of my friends was getting one and I couldn't do anything about it (that was when I stopped reading the book before I went to bed). I really encourage you to watch the below video on lobotomies and the man that started them, Walter Freeman. However, I warn you it is graphic. (if you do watch it I'd love to hear your thoughts, please leave a comment
ANYWAYS all that to say....all of Freeman's archives (tools, correspondence, pictures, etc) are all at George Washington University in DC. I contacted them and we're allowed to go see them. They have way too many boxes of stuff. So they gave us a list of all the available items (minus patient folders because those are confidential and we aren't allowed to see those) and then we told them what boxes to pull. So Monday we're off to DC and will be seeing and possibly holding (I say possibly because it may gross me out) the actual freaking ice picks that Freeman used on his patients! Nuts huh? I'm horribly excited about this if that makes sense. We plan on videoing that moment and can hopefully incorporate it into our presentation. I'll let you know how that was....
This honey is one experience that I wouldn't get if I went to school in Canada, so see, it's worth it :) ha ha ha
Oh if anyone wants to borrow the book some time I now own a copy and can bring it home with me at Christmas. It's Howard Dully's (the author) life story on his experience of having a lobotomy at a young age. It's a remarkable story of resilience, hope, and new beginnings.
****thanks to Mel for telling me how to embed youtube videos!!!
6 comments:
The Office video...YES.
Lobotomy video...NO.
sorry, just can't do it.
I just watched that video and it's sick. I can't believe you are possibly going to HOLD one of those ice picks. SICK! I don't think I'd do it. You'll have to tell us about the experience. When do you go?
Deb- no prob... I get that
Mandi- I go on Monday. I will for sure tell you about the experience. This is going to be really hard, but we felt like it was an important part of our project. I'm going to cry I alreayd feel it :)
If only I had known how you would use this video-embedding knowledge.... (^_^)
Oh, and if nobody else takes you up on your offer, I'm interested in reading that book!
Mel: ha ha ha I know eh? Actually, the embedded image looks way worse than what the video actually is in mine opinion! I will bring the book home with me at Christmas, no problem! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you're done reading it. You guys should read it for your book club :)
Post a Comment