- An American is sexually assaulted every 2 minutes (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network RAINN, 2009).
- 80% of sex crimes are perpetrated by assailants known to the victim (National Center for Victims of Crime, 2009).
- 32 000 pregnancies result from rape every year (AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 1999).
- National survey reported that 34% of women were victims of sexual coercion by a husband or intimate partner in their lifetime (National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, 2002).
- 75% of male rapes occur before the age of 18; 48% occur before the age of 12 (National Institute of Justice Report, 2000).
- 95% of violent episodes against people with disabilities involve sexual violence (Beail & Warden, 1995).
- One in four sexual assaults takes place in the victim’s home, making it the most common place for an assault to take place. One in six takes place in or near a relative’s or friend’s home; one in five on the street; one in six in a parking garage or commercial building. Three out of five sexual assaults occur at night, with the largest proportion occurring between 6:00 pm and midnight (Crime and Crime Prevention Statistics).
- Victims of sexual assault are: 3 times more likely to suffer from depression, 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder,13 times more likely to abuse alcohol, 26 times more likely to abuse drugs, 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide (RAINN, 2010).

Thoughts? Feelings? Gut reactions?
4 comments:
Most of that makes me sick to my stomach... Shouldn't have read your blog today...
hmmmm I know how you feel....so you're thankful I'm sharing the horror....is that what you're saying? :)
I feel the same way as Jason - it makes me want to be sick just thinking about this happening. And I also feel like I want to have a video camera on Asher every moment we are not together. That wouldn't be overprotective, huh?
I know it's hard to read eh? Especially when it can connect to some part of your world, like Asher for example. Nope don't think that would be overprotective... do it :)
Post a Comment