- EMOTIONAL!!!! man oh man this program
- had guest speakers form the local crisis sexual asault clinic come.... some stats I found nteresting/scary: 1 in 4 woman have been sexually abused, 1 in 6 men, 50% of children who have been sexually abused have been abused by other children who are either frinds or famly members (HOLY CRAP), only 1 in 10 victims report the abuse when it actually happens-------> TALK TO YOUR KIDS PEOPLE!!!! I'm sure I'll learn lots of other goodies over the next few years and I don't want to scare you guys but I want everyone to be aware.....Erica's going to do her internship there so we'll learn lots :)
- there's an owl that "hoo"s all the time in the backyard at night time...I'm used to it now but it took a bit, I don't know if I've ever heard that before aside from movies/cartoons
- had the opportunity to go spend the weekend in Manhattan for free, Jason you're lucky I promised you I wouldn't go there without you!...it was soooo hard to turn down
- got a couple of DVD's because I'm going to be snowed in...there are definitely some things that rock down here.....for example Redbox...put your credit card in a machine at the grocery store, select a movie from loads of titles, have it back by 9 the next night and it's only $1 isn't that cray? So I'm going to be watching The Proposal and He's Just Not That Into You this weekend....seemed like a chick flick time and I know Jason has no interest in these
- am learning lots, wow I'm really going to be a counselor some day
- had too much snow this past week and right now in another storm... theweathernetwork. com just says 50+ cm of snow for the next 24 hours....is that weird to anyone else? 50+?? Not only is that INSANE for down here....BUT.... did they just give up counting or something? I want to come home where it's just cold and less snow....oh and Jason's there too :)
- very thankful for a good friend who is going to be telling her story to my crisis class
- local Christian radio station switched to KLOVE.... a friend told me about this when I was home and it's a great Christian radio station, now I'm lucky and even get to listen to it in my car, although I do miss the CKOE guy's "good morning" in his weird voice :)
- been craving some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies thanks to a friend who talks about them nonstop....hmmmm maybe she's preggers? ha ha ha.....regardless I may need to bake some of these suckers
- have a huge sexual assault presentation that I'll be working on for most of the weekend,
- praying I don't get a migraine because I forgot to buy more Ibuprofen and I'm all out
- hoping to connect with friends at some point this weekend
- saw the movie Kite Runner last weekend....have any of you read this book? I guess it's quite famous....anyways I LOVED the movie, not something I would have picked but the woman I rent from and her neighbour made supper and watched a movie last weekend and invited me because it was storming and it turned out being a really touching move (could I have put anymore ands in that sentence???)... my favorite line, which I sent to Jason in a text that night "For you? A thousand times over"...story of my life people.....if it wasn't for that guy I would have given up a long time ago and just accepted being where I'm at in my head space but wanting to bless him with me, all of me, the whole me, keeps me putting one foot in front of the other... especially in those times when everything in me is wanting to jam the breaks on and that's been happening a lot lately....so perhaps the movie wouldn't be as touching to you :)
- ummmmmm I'm sure there's more but that's all I've got for now... stay tuned for more this weekend on my snowy situation, love to you all!
...where you can catch up on my world in Virginia, New Brunswick, or somewhere else.
February 5, 2010
Week 4....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You are lucky! I miss winters where we had a ton of snow!
Ya, I thought I did too until today. Now that I'm an adult snow is just a pain not something fun to go play in. I'm getting more and more bitter the older I get i think :) ha ha ha
Yes, read "Kite Runner" and saw it. Amazing story, eh?
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, have you seen "Whip It" yet? I think it's just the kind of movie you could use right now with all the heavy emotional work you're doing. So fun!
And ... those stats are pretty frightening, eh? I remember seeing an episode of CSI back when Maren was very little where a three year old girl was kidnapped and assaulted; the show ended with one of the team sitting down with her kids and saying, "Have I ever talked to you about bad people?" It was a good reminder early on that bad things can happen to even very young children.
If you ever have tips on talking to kids about this stuff, pass them on! I find it challenging to know where the balance is between making sure they know enough (and often enough), and overdoing it and making them paranoid or unnecessarily fearful. For now, I've tried to let them know that MOST people are good people who don't want to hurt children, but we have to be careful because there are SOME who do, and we can't necessarily tell who they are.
Hey Mel... I have not seen "Whip It" perhaps I need ot check that out. I have another friend down here who is going through lots too so perhaps we need a movie night :)
If I get some tips I will pass them on. I'm trying to remember with all of the research that I did if I saw anything. I stumbled upon some great sites...anyways if I ever do for sure it's headed your way. Sounds like the chat you've had so far is a great start, you're right it's a fine line. I would suggest though, because of the recent things I've bene hearing, perhaps talking to your kids about other children doing things to them. A LOT of sexual abuse at young ages comes from other kids (friends, family). There are also kids who are sexually reactive, meaning they are being abused themselves and think it's normal to do stuff with other kids. It's scary and sad that we have to have these tlaks with kids but it's so important. I remember getting the adult talk, but no one ever told me about the possibility of kids my own age or a little older doing this.
Reason 14 million and 2 why having kids is a worry. Thanks for the advice, friend. I'll defintely bear it in mind!
Not sure my one year old would understand yet, but I do remember hearing once at a conference a piece of advice that stuck with me. It was to teach kids to trust their instincts, and one thing that parents do wrong is make their kids say "hi" to strangers in stores, or hug aunts/uncles/cousins/friends good-bye when they don't want to. I think it's important to respect that your kid may not want to hug someone, even if they are family. Some family can still feel like a stranger to your child, and making them do something with their body - even a hug - just because it's "polite" seems like such a wrong message to send.
That's my 2-cents. Thanks again for sharing this stuff your learning - it's great! Well it sucks actually, but it's great to be informed.
Post a Comment