- hearing yourself on tape is weird
- watching yourself on tape is even weirder ("oh my gosh why did I just do that" where some thoughts running through my mind)
- I hate typing out verbatim, so frustrating
- 15 minutes of tape time=5 and a half pages single spaced
- not looking forward to going through it again and writing about all the non-verbal things
- I may have this segment memorized by the time I'm done
- people insert "like" a lot when they're talking
- I freaking talk fast! I know some of you are laughing right now but holy crap... I had to stop and rewind so much when I was talking because I was cramming so much into 5 seconds of tape (you know kind of like this sentence). It was insane. So for all of you out there who I have seen get the confused look on your face when I'm talking because I lost you 20 words ago...I get it!
- after verbatim, then analysis on body language, then I have to write about my personal thoughts I was having...just how honest should I be?
- I'm never going to get this assignment done, good thing it's worth 5% of my mark and has already taken me 4 hours and I probably have another 4 to go. Freaking grad school!
- I think I'm a little stressed....good thing I have another counseling session in 2 and a half hours. Apparently I now need counselling on a weekly basis. When I made fun of my counsellor for this he told me, "well Freud used to see his clients 5 days a week, would you like us to do that?". What a smarty pants... I like him though, he's a keeper!
...where you can catch up on my world in Virginia, New Brunswick, or somewhere else.
October 6, 2009
Interview observations...
So I'm on week 2 of interviewing an undergraduate. It's interesting, I wasn't nervous at all this time. Things flowed really well. I just got done doing my verbatim assignment from that second interview. So here are some of my observations:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Erin, I agree with you, it's weird to hear yourself on tape. I keep trying not to talk when I take a video of Ian.
This made me laugh... especially the part about you talking fast and the thought about "oh my gosh, did I just do that?" :)
I remember doing a similar assignment when I went to ABU for a psych class. It was tough, and really opened my eyes to how often people fumble their words or use "like". Communication is complicated! And you're right, it's so weird to hear yourself on tape! I think I sound like a 12 year old whenever I hear my voice.
Rachel: Hey, glad you could connect wiht my thought of it being weird. I never thought of that happening often when you're taping Ian. I need to go check out your blog!
Mandi: Ya, that's what I found too. I sounded young and said some dumb fillers. I so want to post a clip. However, obviously, for confidentiality I can't! I thought you'd laugh at the part about me talking fast :) How many times have I heard you say..."okay wait" ha ha ha
Post a Comment